Hello WordPress lovers!
Today I decided to take a tour of Kenyan wordpress blogs and sites. I wanted to have a glimpse of the conditions and quality of the work we put into them and report back. I must mention that I am a wordpress ‘nerd’ 🙂 and would like to offer my help wherever necessary.
In my visits, the following is what I experienced and saw:-
- Incredible blogs and sites with recent up to date posts, impressive themes, diverse crucial functionality like widgets, social media integration, and tags.
- Average blogs and sites with nice themes, recent up to date posts, with or without crucial functionality like social media, image header and relevant widgets.
- Below average/poor blogs and sites with dull themes and image headers, no social media integration, poor/no content, no contact details etc.
I know the blogging phenomena in Kenya is still not advanced and much practiced like in western and other developed countries but we have great writers, bloggers and individuals or corporations who’d like to pass crucial information or share their blogging experience with other like-minded or interested parties in the public.
Well, I am sensitive to the fact that bloggers and website owners are busy people who don’t have enough time to attend to them but I also believe that there others out there who don’t have the necessary technical skills required to adjust functionality in their blogs or sites, even though they are passionate individuals, businesses or corporates about their work. It also goes without mentioning the other lot who don’t give a heck about their blog or site’s quality even though they constantly blog or monitor their sites.
In line with all the above, I thought I should point out very important aspects of a blog or website that a serious and dedicated owner cannot afford to ignore so as to enhance visitor/user experience and achieve their goals for setting them up in the first place. The following are the ones that came up in my mind:-
- Overall look, feel and experience of your blog/site by your visitors. This is crucial in determining the amount and duration of stay of visitors on your blog/site.
- Catchiness of your blog/site. Simplicity, flow and organisation of content and it’s quality is crucial if the visitor is to have any interest in whatever you may have to say or want them to see. This will help trigger comments, contacts, feedback and even sales on your blog/site.
- Traffic generation is what your blog/site survives on. Traffic can be generated by impressive design, captivating content, constant updating of blog/site, social media integration, link backs, marketing etc.
- I am very sure that you desire your blog/site to be on the lips and minds of everyone but every owner desires that too but many are not willing to go the extra mile of ensuring that. I mean, to stand out from the crowd, be unique, simple, captivating, logical with your content and show dedication.